I am currently undertaking research and development for a start-up company that I have co-founded, DoseMe Pty Ltd, producing a software product that more accurately assists in determining the individually optimum dose of a given drug to give to a patient to reach a desired therapeutic range.
From 2008 till 2011, I completed a PhD in Assoc. Prof Timothy Bailey's group at the Institute for Molecular Bioscience, at The University of Queensland, Australia. This focused on developing tools and methods to better under transcription factor binding and gene expression. One key focus of my PhD was on integrating epigenetic (and particularly, histone modification) data into in silico methods of predicting transcription factor binding. This both greatly improves accuracy (less false positives), and allows these methods to be tissue-specific.
- Expression and Methylation of BDNF in Human Schizophrenia Brain.
Cheah SY, McLeay R, Wockner LF, Lawford BR, Young RM, Morris CP, Voisey J. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2016 Oct 7:1-29.
- NFIB-mediated repression of the epigenetic factor Ezh2 regulates cortical development.
Piper M, Barry G, Harvey TJ, McLeay R, Smith AG, Harris L, Mason S, Stringer BW, Day BW, Wray NR, Gronostajski RM, Bailey TL, Boyd AW, Richards LJ. J Neurosci. 2014 Feb 19;34(8):2921-30. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2319-13.2014.
- Expression of nuclear factor one A and -B in the olfactory bulb.
Plachez C, Cato K, McLeay RC, Heng YH, Bailey TL, Gronostasjki RM, Richards LJ, Puche AC, Piper M. J Comp Neurol. 2012 Oct 1;520(14):3135-49. doi: 10.1002/cne.23081.
- NFIX Regulates Neural Progenitor Cell Differentiation During Hippocampal Morphogenesis.
Heng YH, McLeay RC, Harvey TJ, Smith AG, Barry G, Cato K, Plachez C, Little E, Mason S, Dixon C, Gronostajski RM, Bailey TL, Richards LJ, Piper M. Cereb Cortex. 2012 Oct 4.
- Genome-wide in silico prediction of gene expression.
McLeay RC, Lesluyes T, Cuellar Partida G, Bailey TL. Bioinformatics. 2012 Nov 1;28(21):2789-96. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/bts529.
- Epigenetic priors for identifying active transcription factor binding sites.
Cuellar Partida, G, Buske F. A., McLeay, R.C., Whitington, T, Noble, W.S., Bailey, T.L. (2011). Bioinformatics, doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btr614
- Tissue-specific prediction of directly regulated genes.
McLeay, R. C., Leat, C. J., and Bailey, T. L. (2011). Bioinformatics, 27 (17): 2354-2360, doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btr399
- Motif enrichment analysis: A unified framework and an evaluation on ChIP data.
McLeay, R. C. and Bailey, T. L. (2010). BMC Bioinformatics, 11, 165, doi:10.1186/1471-2105-11-165
- AME & RAMEN - Motif enrichment analysis. Find transcription factor motifs over-represented in a set of genes. AME is now maintained in the MEME Suite, and porting RAMEN is in progress.
- DR Gene - Identify promoters bound by a given transcription factor in a tissue-specific manner (i.e. find Directly Regulated Genes).
- WigShrink - Reduce the size of a "wiggle" file by removing unnecessary runs of zeros.
- Genome-wide gene expression modelling - Supplementary data and scripts for gene expression modelling (for a submitted paper).